Friday, November 23, 2012

Being Thankful

Yesterday I celebrated Thanksgiving with my family in Spring this year.  I woke up around 7 am to get ready for the day and run some marathon training mileage. Yep, even on Thanksgiving marathon training does not stop.  I ran 7.5-8 miles in the morning then showered and headed to my parents house.  On the way I called my Dad and Pie to wish them Happy Thanksgiving since they were headed to Austin and I wouldn't see them.  I got to my parents house about 10:30 with a growling stomach!  I had eaten a protein shake about an hour and a half before, but apparently it did not fill my stomach up enough.  I ate some hummus plus crackers and a piece of stuff celery while waiting on everyone to get there (hurry up!). 

Everyone started arriving around 11:15-11:30 am, and we ate at 12 ish.  I brought the Sweet Potato Casserole (I heard it turned out really well) and everyone else each brought a dish also.  There was ham, turkey, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, broccoli rice casserole, stuffing, deviled eggs, rolls, salmon patties, stuff celery, cranberry sauce, pasta salad, mac and cheese, and more!  I piled my plate high and dug in.  I ate so many calories, I am going to have to run double time to burn them all off. There were a ton of desserts to try, but I only had some of the pretzel things that I made.

I actually watched football on Thanksgiving Sunday!  If the Texans weren't playing though I probably wouldn't have watched at all.  It was fun!  The Texans were playing the Detroit Lions this year on Thanksgiving and boy was it a nail biter.  I thought last Sunday's game was nerve wracking, but this game was worse!  Let me tell you, the Lions play dirty! I don't understand why they can't just be grownups and not play fair.  My favorite part of the game was when Texans player Forsett was down on the play, but still got a touchdown (watch this video) because the coach from the Lions threw a penalty flag that didn't need to be thrown.  I am a Texans fan, but that was a bit ridiculous, they shouldn't have gotten that touchdown.  The game went into overtime again like last week but they pulled it out and won the game with a field goal.



While some of us were watching the football game, everyone else was outside swimming in the pool.  Usually, if my parents host Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Easter at their house they heat the pool so everyone can swim.  The kids always get so excited since it's been months since they were able to swim.  I didn't bring my bathing suit so I didn't want to swim, plus I was really into the game.

After the Texans won we played three games of the dice game LCR.  LCR is a dice game where each player brings $3 and you each roll the dice until there is a winner.  Go here to find out more (you can buy it at Wal-Mart or Target for around $7, it is awesome to play with groups of people.  We played three games and I won a game, my sister Laura won a game, and my grandmother won a game.  We each only brought $3 so we just put the money back in the game to play again.  I won the last set and let everyone keep their money, no 'gambling' on Thanksgiving!  haha.  I don't really think it's a gambling game, but my Grandmother thought it was (we were sending her to the dark side) so we all took our money back at the end of the game.

After everyone left  I took a nap upstairs at my parents house before leaving around 7 pm to go shopping with my sister for Black Friday.  Post on that coming tomorrow!


p.s.  Just under 50 days until I will be running in the Chevron Houston Marathon!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment