Wednesday, October 24, 2012

New GPS watch

Last year when I was training for my first half marathon my friend Andrea let me borrow her old Garmin Forerunner 201 when she bought the upgraded version.  I didn't use it as much as I should have because I didn't realize how helpful they were when you were on your run.

Fast forward to this training season.  In my running group the majority of the people have some sort of GPS watch and all I had was an app on my phone that only sometime worked.  The app would randomly say I was on mile 7 when I had barely done 3, or I would keep it in the pocket of my water belt and have to slow down to see what my pace was <--defeating the purpose.  So I looked at several watches online with different brands and models to determine which one I wanted.  All of them were $150+ and I didn't want to spend that much on one.  I only needed to know the distance, time, and pace so I didn't  need a super fancy one (like one with a heart rate monitor).

I heard that Nike had some sort of sports band that you could wear a chip in your shoe and it was only about $60.  I saw one at Luke's Locker but when I read about it online it had mixed reviews.  I didn't research it very well so it might be a great tool and it has a terrific price point if you don't need tons of options.

I kind of forgot about it for awhile then I remembered Andrea still had hers and I thought I might be able to purchase hers since she never uses it.  I emailed her and asked if I could buy it from her if she wasn't using it and she said yes!  A friend of hers was borrowing it, but I could buy it for $30 when she got it back from her.



It's an older model and it's really big on my wrist, but I don't care!  I am happy to pay $30 for a cheaper version of the same thing.  I am a simple girl.

I love my new watch!! I honestly do not think I would have gotten my two new PR's this past weekend without my new watch.  I could tell my pace the entire time and knew when I needed to step it up to have the sort of finish I wanted.  It has absolutely helped me with my training.

What GPS watch do you use?  How did you decide?

No comments:

Post a Comment