Monday, April 10, 2017

Rodeo Houston 2017

This year’s HLSR was my fourth and final year as a committee member.  I loved spending time with the ‘kids’ that we serve on the Special Children’s Committee, but it is time for me to focus on other things.

God has recently impressed it upon my heart that I have to let go of the ‘good’ to get the ‘great’ in my life.  I can’t keep saying yes to everything, I have to focus on what God has called me to, not everything that comes my way, even if they are worthy events/activities. 

I was always saying yes to being on this committee, or volunteering at this event but I wasn’t able to focus on the things that truly matter to me.  And I’m not just talking about the rodeo activities, I’m talking about all activities that I’ve been involved in.  I have been emptying things off my plate for a few months now and it is so freeing!  I don’t have to be at this activity or that activity, I can focus on what matters most in my life.

So, the rodeo.  I volunteered on my specific dates and was a little sad that this was my last year, especially on my last night.  I was saying goodbye to everyone and realizing that I would never dance in the aisle at one of the concerts with the ‘kids’ anymore (I say ‘kids’ because most of them are technically adults but they have disabilities so it is the Special Children’s Committee).


We went to the Agventure part one day with Kali, but other than that I didn’t go at all this year (besides my volunteer shifts), usually I go to at least one concert or the carnival.  Kali had a fun time seeing the cows, rabbits and other animals.  She is into gardening so she planted sunflower seeds in a cup and brought it home.  I love that the HLSR has a ton of information and hands on learning opportunities for kids.  Super cool.


Did you go to the rodeo this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment