Wednesday, August 24, 2016

The Snooze Button Is From The Devil

I listen to a daily call about MK called the Million $ Message.  The call is from 5 different people, each calling in one day a week to change the message on their specific day.  On Tuesday I heard from a director named Amber that “the snooze button was from the devil” and that we should never hit snooze.  I also heard the concept the same sort of concept from the book, the Miracle Morning.

The reason they say this because you are committing to yourself every night to get up at a specific time, but then you hit snooze, effectively starting off your morning not honoring your word from the night before, and losing integrity with yourself.  You say you want to be a person of excellence, yet you can’t even have the self-discipline to get up when you said you were going to.  If you start off this way, then you entire day might be the same way.


The Miracle Morning explains the snooze button as delaying your life, 10 minutes at a time.  You only get one life, but you choose to hit snooze (at least) 10 minutes a day.  You say you need more time, but yet the snooze button is more important than your goals.

I just love this concept!  Getting up at 4 am is so hard, but staying in the same place I am is so much harder.  I am yearning for “something more” in my life.  Don’t get me wrong, I have it pretty good, but I just feel like I am not doing what God has called me to do.  It’s time to change that.

Even when I got up at 4 am today, I struggled.  I am SO hoping that it will get much easier as I get used to the earlier bed time and earlier wake time, but for now I have to accept that I have to overcome my “tired” thoughts.   I have found it helpful to me if I say “I’m awake, I’m awake, I’m awake” when I first hear my alarm clock.  I also talk myself through the next steps of my morning routine.  Put the workout clothes on, put my shoes on, gather my things, go to the car, start driving, etc.  If I say “just do the next thing” and then the next thing, I find myself getting to where I need to be on time.

This morning I did that.  I stayed at my aunt’s new house that is 30 minutes extra drive for me.  That is hard because I already drive an hour (in traffic, 30 minutes otherwise) to work and didn’t “want to” drive further.  I made a commitment though and I stuck to it.  I got my clothes, packed my car and got on the road.  The ENTIRE time I had to talk myself into the next task.    I went back and forth on the drive talking myself into and out of a workout run. 

This is my head conversation this morning:  “I will just go, park and take an extra hour nap and then go get dressed,”  “No, if I work out I get to add four stickers to my chart” (I get a sticker for each mile or 30 minutes of workouts if I’m not running). The stickers made me want to run but then I would have the same nap conversation and started over.  I tried to distract myself in between.  The thing is, once I am on the walk/run, I feel great, the trick is just getting me there.


So I did 3.5 miles today and got four stickers.  I say four stickers because I did 3.5 miles on Monday and only gave myself 3 stickers, so I added the two .5’s for a fourth.  #smallthings  I am not sure why adding stickers to my chart (given to me at my TOPS meeting) helps motivate me so much, maybe it’s just a throwback to my childhood.  IDK, but it works so I am sticking to it.


Hopefully you can bring yourself to have your own MiracleMorning-----seriously, go buy that book.

No comments:

Post a Comment