Friday, August 5, 2016

Choose What You Want To Do

I am currently reading, The Happiness Project by Gretchen Ruben.  She has a phrase in the book that says, “You can choose what you do; you can’t choose what you like to do.”  This is the first of my "10 pages a day" resolution.
 
That's me on the right, SAD that I have to go to the opera. 
I thought about it and I agree.  I would like to enjoy the opera, but oh how it is boring.  I put going to the opera on my 30 under 30 list, but I was soooooooo bored that night.  I was thinking it would all be Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman like.  NOPE, boring!  I can choose to go, but I can’t choose whether or not I like it.  My friend loves it so much that he has season passes. :/


We have been trying to get my mom on a cruise as a ‘girls trip’ for forever, but she “hates boats” and “would not have fun if you made me do that.”  Guess who was forced to take a trip to Alaska with her friends and my step-dad…and LOVED IT!!!  Say what?  Now she is going on her 3rd cruise in October.  She got to choose to do it, but didn’t get to choose if she liked it or not.  Sometimes the activities choose you!


I love hanging out with my friends but I do not love going to clubs with my friends.  Even in college I was not a big party-goer but I tried.  I am not a big drinker either (which goes hand in hand with the club scene) but I don’t mind bars.  If I could have a place to sit, observe what is happening (and look at cute guys), and spend time with friends, I would do that!  No clubs please.  My friends don’t get this.  They think I am crazy for not wanting to go out, but I just shrug.  I am OK being a homebody.  Actually, sometimes it makes me sad that I am not more adventurous in that way, but I just makes me so uncomfortable!


It’s OK to not like everything your friends do.  Not everyone is going to like the same things we like.  That is one of the reasons we have different groups of friends that you do different types of things with.  I have friends who like running, but others despise it.  Some like reading, others fall asleep when they read.



I realized that is OK for me not to like things.  I have my own ‘likes’ that I am proud of, I shouldn’t be ashamed of the ones I like to do-or be forced to do the ones I don’t like.

No comments:

Post a Comment