Monday, April 8, 2013

What to Eat While Traveling

Countdown to Kenya Post #1



When traveling to foreign countries, I never know what to expect food wise.  The organizers at the orphanage suggested that I bring snacks with me on my trip to Kenya in case they serve food that I do not like or that I cannot eat.  I am not really a picky eater, but going to a foreign country and not knowing what they will be serving scares me so I decided to pick up some snacks.  

Besides oatmeal, everything I am bringing with me is snacks and aren’t considered meals.  I am bringing some cereal (PB Puffins), but I like to eat those by themselves.  If for some reason I cannot eat a meal, I will just eat one of my snacks as a meal.  She also said that if they are serving something I do not like/can’t eat, there is always PB&J sandwiches.  I love PB&J!  

I am absolutely going to try local food (besides weird animal products), but this is ‘just in case’.  I want to have a ‘real’ Kenya experience, food and all, but I want a backup! :)  All the websites and information I have read say not to eat fruit (unless it’s tough skin that you peel yourself) or leafy greens (no salads) because you don’t know how sanitary those things are and how they were prepared.  You are also not supposed to drink the water anywhere (or ice) except unless it’s a sealed water bottle.

This is what I am bringing with me, note that some things will be taken on the airplane with me on my 22 hour flight!
-Kind bars
-Puffins
-Chocolate PB Trail Mix
-Pistacho Trail Mix
-Oatmeal (with coconut, chia seeds, pumpkin pie spice, and cocoa powder)
-Pretzel Rods
- Pita Crackers
-Peanut Butter Pretzels
-Starbucks Iced Coffee Mix  (drink)
-Nuun (drink)
-Pumpkin Cheddar Crackers <----I LOVE these crackers!  I found them at Whole Foods and I fell in love with them.  So yummy.  They are Doctor Kracker brand and they come in several different flavors.


Any other suggestions for me?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment