Friday, June 8, 2012

***This item has been done for a loooong time, but I have been lazy about posting it!  Enjoy.

Over the weekend I went to my sister’s house in Spring and baked a Cake from Scratch with my nephews, Hunter and Cole.  I love these boys!



#8 on my list is to bake a cake from scratch (and enjoy it) and I completed it!  For those of you who are counting, that’s 6 things off my list…24 more to go!!!

I looked online to find a recipe to make and I couldn’t decide which one I wanted to make.  Strawberry? Pineapple Upside Down Cake? Lemon? White? Yellow?  Pumpkin? (my favorite option) Coconut?-Yuck! My neighbor even said I could borrow her cookbook that had cakes from scratch in it.

Then I called my sister and told her my dilemma of which cake flavor to make and she said “Fruit and Cake do not belong together” and if I wanted to do it over there it would need to be chocolate.  BOOO!!! She then suggested that I use this recipe that her Mother-in-Law always makes for parties and get togethers.



These are all the ingredients needed for this recipe.  I included pictures of each step so if you are like me and cannot cook a thing you can follow this easily!

First up:  Wash your hands.  Hunter has included a visual of how to make a soap bubble with your hands for your enjoyment/learning.



Sift together Sugar, Flour, and Cocoa.  This step is important to SIFT together.  I thought you could just mix it together and be done, but no, it needs to be sifted. I actually broke my sister’s sifter and need to replace it.




This is Cole eating Butternut Squash and helping from afar.


Add Baking Soda and Milk then Stir.  Then add Mayonnaise and stir (can you already tell this recipe is low calorie? ;) 


Cole moved closer to help us stir.  He is having fun!


My sister greased the pan (important step, otherwise the cake will stick)

Pour the cake batter into the pan then an important step:  Lick the bowl clean before washing it


Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees, afterwards check with a toothpick, use a butter knife to separate the sides from the pan, and flip over on a cookie sheet

The icing: Add Milk, butter, and cocoa


Put over medium heat until it boils (big bubbles).  Constant stirring needs to occur.  Then add Sugar and blend together. Pour over cake (hurry, it gets thick fast!)


Enjoy with ice cream!!!



I had a wonderful day spending time with my nephews baking this cake.

 1 Cake + 2 Adorable Nephews = Happiness and a Rockin’ good time :)

Question of the day:
Have you ever baked a cake from scratch?  How did it turn out?

No comments:

Post a Comment