Saturday, June 23, 2012

Moorhead's Blueberry Farm


A few weekends ago me, my mom, my sister Laura, and my nephew Cole went to  Moorhead's Blueberry Farm in Conroe, TX.  According to their website, the blueberry picking season is mid May through mid July so be sure to get there then!  I <3 blueberries.

On the way there we used the GPS in the truck to take us to Moorehead Road, but instead we should have gone to Moorhead Road.  We put the 'e' at the end of Moore when we shouldn't have. :/  My Mom was not happy (LOL), but they was were close to each other so it wasn't a big deal.  (p.s. City of Conroe, Why would you make two roads that are that similar in name?)

Tips!
1.  Use the correct street name when GPS'ing the street
2.  Wear sunscreen and a hat!
3.  Park on the street outside the gate
4.  Bring cash for blueberries, water, snow cones, and a small farmers market
5.  Bring some water or you can purchase some at the weigh station



Cole entertained himself on the way with my sunglasses. :)


We got there and had to park on the road due to there being so many cars, but it was so much easier getting out of there.  It was packed.  Tip: Park on the road before you get into the gates,otherwise you might have to wait til someone else leaves so you can back out.



You get there and they ask you what bucket you want, a smaller one or a big 5 gallon bucket.  We choose two of the smaller buckets and headed to the blueberries.  He had told us to go to the orange or blue sections just down the path to the right.  We didn't know what he was talking about until we saw this sign with arrows.






We got down to picking blueberries.  Cole decided he liked the blueberries on the ground better than the ones on the trees (bushes?) better so he plopped down and started eating them off the ground (ewww!).  Needless to say that he got bored with the blueberry picking process very easily and was covered with smashed sand and dirt by the time we left (but Laura used a water hose to wash him down).  He had fun running up and down the paths of the farm.






My Mom had fun picking blueberries!  We got each got about 3/4 of our bucket filled with blueberries to take home.




When you are picking blueberries there are some that are ripe and then some that aren't.  The other colored ones are sour!  I 'taste tested' a few. ;)  A few bushes had more blueberries at the top then at the bottom so I guess some kids had been there earlier in the day and picked the lower ones.


Then it was time for us to head to the weigh station ( a certain 1 year old was getting cranky and wanting a nap!) so we headed up there.  I thought I had about 5 lbs total, but it was really only about 2 lbs.  Score!  My Mom had about the same amount also.  When she got home she made some blueberry muffins!  Yummy.


Moorhead's Farm was great!  I really want to go back, but it's sort of farm from where I live now (Energy Corridor area), so I can only go when I visit my Mom.  I froze the blueberries in ziplock containers and use them for my oatmeal in the mornings! I plan on making some lemon blueberry white chocolate cookies soon that I found online.  If you are good I will share them with you. :)


Hurry!  Go to Moorhead's Blueberry Farm soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment