Saturday, June 2, 2012

150 ft Drop

#24 on my 30 before 30 list is to Ride a Roller Coaster 30 times in a row. Now, I will tell you that when I made the list back in June I absolutely, positively, did not, did not, did not, think it through.  30 times?  Really?  Why did I pick this #?  Well, I was going with a theme of course!  Did I stop and think that it might not be the healthiest decision on planet earth?  Nope!  Throughout the entire year I was thinking it was crazy, but it could probably be done. 
Which roller coaster did I pick?  Seaworld San Antonio’s Steel Eel.(link is to the You Tube video where you can experience the ride).  The Steel Eel boasts an impressive 150 foot drop.  Why did I choose this?  Well, Astroworld closed down years ago (boo!), Six Flags Dallas is too far, Kemah Boardwalk’s is an older wooden roller coaster that hurts after one ride, and I was already headed to Seaworld to go visit dolphins so I might as well make it a double trip. 
Seaworld San Antonio has two roller coasters to choose from, The Steel Eel and the Great White.  Now, if you know me at all you know that I get motion sick watching video games so I do not ever play.  The Great White roller spins you about 3 or 4 times and I knew I would not make it on it without getting sick multiple times (plus going 30 times around and around can’t be good for you).  So safety first I choose the Steel Eel.
I asked everyone if they wanted to go, and my friend Lili was the only one that was able to attend.  We left my house at 5:45 am so we could be there right when it opened. The entire trip up there I was praying to God that I would be safe, I would finish it, I wouldn’t get sick, and that he would part the crowds so I will have time to finish it.  God answered my prayers.  You would have thought since it was Easter weekend that they crowds would have been horrendous, but they weren’t.

We got to Seaworld about 9:15 and you cannot get to any section of the park until the National Anthem plays at 10 am.  We were at the entrance with a big group of people including a group of teenagers.  Literally when they let us go the teenager RAN  towards the roller coasters.  I looked at Lili and said that I was not about to run.  She agreed.  

Before I left my house I made index cards with the number of # I was about to do.  

Lili doesn’t like to ride rollercoasters so she was my supportive friend the entire day!  She just sat down at the bottom of the entrance/exit and waited for me to come down.  As I was going up the hill I was like, am I crazy?!  I don’t like this.  Haha.  I rode twice (there was no line) and they made me get off and exit.  Then I rode three more times (and got off).  Finally, about the 6th or 7th time all of the workers knew what I was doing (and so did my fellow seat mates) and they let me stay on without getting off.

Everyone that I rode with (sometimes I did ride by myself) thought it was a really neat idea.  They thought I was crazy, but it was neat. Haha.  As I got to the higher numbers the workers asked me what number I was on.  Every once in a while I would get off and go down to take a picture with my index cards and drink some water (I did get dehydrated a bit).  At about ride # 21 or 22 I saw my friend Brandi from high school. 
I told lili to let me know when it was 12:15 pm so we could take a break, eat something, and go to the dolphins.  From 10 am to 12:15 I managed to finish 24 roller coasters in a row. I had to tweak my list a bit and break them up into 24 and then 6 so I could fit the dolphins in.
We ate lunch at a Rosita's Pizza buffet in the park and then headed to the dolphins.  Read my dolphin experience here.

Me and Rosita!  I just love getting my picture taken with famous people (err animals?!)


After dolphins we went straight back to the rollercoaster to complete the last 6.  Before lunch there was not that many people in the park so I was able to ride it again and again.  God truly parted the crowds!  After lunch, there was a bit more people  but the lines weren’t that long.  I was able to get the last 6 done in about an hour.  The same workers were there from the morning.  I wasn’t able to ride multiple times in a row because the lines were long and there weren’t any open single seats (once or twice out of the 6), but I was able to go get some water at the bottom of the ride and Lili took my picture each time.

Ok.  This was the final time!  #30…whoo hoo!!

I have got to say that the last six were terrifying!  The first 24 were quick and in a row.  By number 5 I knew what to expect.  3 bigger hills, a brief stop, go down sideways and a few smaller hills. Easy.  After I took a break I was so scared that something would happen!  Each time I prayed that I would be safe.  I was going to do thirty one (like one to grow on), but I thought I probably shouldn’t chance it.  LOL. 
When I completed my last one all of the workers that had been there all day gave me a high five. It was great!  I felt so accomplished.  It’s funny how something so silly can make you so proud of yourself. J

After I finished the roller coasters we met back up with my friend Brandi and we watched Shamu’s show.  All I can say is WOW! I loved the show. I didn’t think it would be that cool, but boy I am so glad I went.  I thought it was going to be cheesy but it was awesome.  I can barely do back flips, but huge whales can do them!  I need to work on my flexibility.
Thank you Lili for coming with me!! I had fun and I can’t wait to head to Mt. Rushmore next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment