Thursday, November 3, 2011

Friendswood Monster Mash 5K

On October 15th I ran in the Friendswood Monster Mash, which was super close to my house, so I was super excited that I could sleep in an hour later than normal when having to start a race at 8 am.  The Friendswood Monster Mash was about 3 miles from my house at the Friendswood High School so I woke up about 6:45 am, and put on my running attire.

This race was a monster mash so naturally I would dress up in costume.  What was I?  The Good Witch of course!

The Good Witch t-shirt and a lime green tutu (have to represent Driving Jacks)

My breakfast was a scoopful of my favorite trail mix but when I got to the race they had donuts and kolaches for everyone.  Who’s strong and resisted the HUGE urge to get a kolache?  This girl!


At first I felt silly for being the only one dressed up in costume, but then I saw this lady in a stork costume and I knew that I could rock out my good witch costume!  The stork is actually a midwife student studying in Pearland so she thought it would be a good idea to dress up like a stork!  Cute!  If she would have stuck around she would have one the costume contest.  I have never done a race where I knew no one so standing around waiting for the event to start was not my idea of fun, so I found new friends to talk to.


Oh, and look who I met!  The newly crowned Ms. Texas!  I guess she is from Friendswood or something and that’s why she was there.  Not really sure.


Look at my race goody bag.  Included: T-shirt, pretzels (which came in handy on my Sunday race), travel vitamin/medicine holder, shampoo sample, tanning cream, free kid’s meal at Luna’s (I don’t think I will be using this one), Crystal Light water sample, coupon for a $.01 eye shadow from Mary Kay, two granola snack bars, free sonic hamburger coupon, and a F.I.R.S.T. bracelet.  Free stuff rocks!


The race benefited the F.I.R.S.T. (Foundation  for the Icthyosis and Related Skin types) charity for helping to find a cure for Icthyosis and also helping educate people about this genetic disease.  Thank you to F.I.R.S.T. for hosting this event (10th annual) and for educating me on the skin disease Icthyosis; this was by far my favorite race to date (and not just because of the new P.R.).  I loved the hometown race feel.

What time did I finish? Why it was my newest PERSONAL RECORD of 34:34 ßThat is 58seconds faster than my previous fastest time!  Go me!

No comments:

Post a Comment