Thursday, December 19, 2013

Houston's First Celebration

This past Sunday I had the pleasure of going to Houston's First Baptist (my church) Celebration.  I bought two tickets and asked my Grandmother if she would like to come with me, she said yes!  I drove to Spring to pick her up, then we headed back to my side of town for dinner and the play. 



For the past 6 years Houston's First has had a Christmas play called Celebration.  I had never gone before, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect.  Let me tell you, it was amazing!  There was acrobatics, live animals, snow, music, lights, and more.  Spectacular!

I think the theme is changed each year, but this year it had a Christmas movie theme.  Famous Christmas movies like Elf, Polar Express, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Home Alone, etc were featured.  Kids and adults both were doing the musical numbers.  They said a total of 800 people were involved in making this production a success.  All in the name of telling the story of Jesus!  The more I get involved in Houston's First, the more I am beginning to love it.

There were acrobatical numbers with people doing flips on a tight rope thing, then people hanging from the ceiling Circ del la (spelling?) style and doing flips.  It was awesome!  My favorite I think was the Elf movie and the musical number from Polar Express, Hot Chocolate.   How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, and Frosty the Snowman were hits too.  Oh and the kids from the Charlie Brown Christmas Story were so adorable!  OK, I can't choose a favorite.

Then there was a transition to the story of the birth of Christ.  The actors came from all over the sanctuary and angels were floating from the rafters (sky) above.  It was so magical!  There were live monkeys, a baby lion, a camel, and a zebra.  The story went from Jesus' birth to death to resurrection. The songs were wonderful!

Houston's First will be taking a break in 2015 in honor of the Sabbath (God rested on the 7th day), but they will be back in 2016!!  I cannot wait to go again.

Look who was mentioned in the program!  It's Into Abba's Arms, the children's home I went to in Kenya!

No comments:

Post a Comment