Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Freezing Sandwiches

Did you know that you can freeze sandwiches?????  I had no idea!  I mean, I guess if I would have thought about it, I would have guessed, but I honestly would have never thought to do that. (I guess I need to think outside the box more).

I have a hard time bringing my lunch to work each day.  I am always running late (darn sleep) and don't always have time to pack a lunch in the morning.  Eating out everyday can get expensive (average lunch is between $5-$10) and also the portions are way out of control.  More eating out=less $$ and bigger waistline.

Once I figured out that I could freeze sandwiches and then grab and go in the mornings, wow what a time saver!  You always hear about families who meal plan and do batch cooking, but for single people that is hard.  It takes a while to make a sandwich in the mornings (searching for ingredients, a  container, a bag, etc) or sometimes I buy a thing of lunch meat and by the time  I can use all of it, it goes bad. Sigh.  Freezing them saves me time in the mornings and also trips to the grocery store.

So, the other day I made a big batch of frozen sandwiches.  I bought two loaves of wheat bread (healthier and it freezes better), cheese, lunch meat, peanut butter, and jelly.
(stock photo)

I made the PB&J sandwiches first and I rotated the jelly between cherry and Mango Hibanero.  The lunch meat was a salami type meat, which isn't the best, but the blogs I researched said not to use mayo.  I like mayo, but only on ham sandwiches.  Turkey uses mustard, but ham ONLY uses mayo.  It's gross (to me) any other way.  I could have gotten turkey but the salami looked really good.


I do not lettuce or tomato on my sandwiches, so I didn't have to worry about freezing them.  They say not to add that to the sandwiches until you are using them and they thaw.  Lettuce and other veggies don't freeze well.

****I was going to add pictures, but they looked kind of gross with my camera phone. LOL.  Sorry!

Anyway, the first few days have gone great! I just pull one out in the mornings and add it to my lunch bag.  They thaw by lunchtime and taste the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment