Friday, July 25, 2014

Eggplant Lasagna Recipe

As I have mentioned a numerous amount of times, I can't cook very well.  I try and try, but my recipes don't seem to work out.  I think at least part of the problem is that I usually don't follow the recipe 100%, in terms of the ingredient list that is.  Sometimes, I don't like that ingredient, other times I just don't have it at the house.  I have seen lots of people do just fine with switching ingredients, but for me, it doesn't work! Hmmm.

Well, anyway...this one worked!  I had some lasagna noodles that I needed to use up (I'm trying to use up as much as possible in my pantry and freezer before buying more) and an eggplant as well.  I looked for recipes that used both, but couldn't really find one (This is where my bad cooking critical thinking comes in).  I just sort of made my own recipe, but it turned out wonderfully!!!!

It is hard cooking for just one person, but this recipe freezes easily.  I froze three servings for future lunches/dinners and ate the rest this past week.  Yummy!

Eggplant Lasagna with Goat Cheese
6-9 servings (depending on how big you cut the pieces)

Ingredients:
1 package Lasagna noodles (I used the no boil kind)
1/2 eggplant
1/2 poblano pepper
1/2 tube of goat cheese
2 mozzarella cheese sticks (the snack kind)
Jar of spaghetti sauce


Directions:
1.Heat oven to 350 degrees
2. Cut eggplant into thin slices
3. Layer lasagna noodles on bottom
4. Layer eggplant slices on top of noodles
5. Cut poblano pepper into small pieces, sprinkle on top of eggplant (seeds are optional-gives more of a kick)
6. Layer goat cheese throughout
7. Add 1/2 spaghetti sauce jar
8. Cut 1 mozzarella stick in small pieces, sprinkle throughout
9. Repeat steps 2-8 until you are at the top of the serving dish (my dish only let me do two layers)


Cost:
1 package Lasagna noodles ($1?? I've had this for awhile now, so I don't 100% remember)
1/2 eggplant ($1)
1/2 poblano pepper ($.50)
1/2 tube of goat cheese  ($2)
2 mozzarella cheese sticks (the snack kind) ($.50)
Jar of spaghetti sauce ($2)

6 servings cost: $1.16 each
9 servings cost: $.77 each

layers without the sauce (the goat cheese and mozzarella will melt)


No comments:

Post a Comment