Monday, July 21, 2014

Blacklight Run Houston

Here is a race recap that I didn't run AT ALL!  I walked the entire thing with my friend Teri.  We got a groupon for $20 to do the Blacklight Run in Houston.  The event started at 8:30 pm at NRG Stadium (formerly Reliant Stadium) and had an estimated 16,000 people in attendance.

What is a Blacklight Run?  Basically it is a color run, but at night and there are a few blacklights on the course. Sorry, but I wasn't that impressed.  I mean, I guess for $20 you can't beat it, but I know a lot of people who paid a lot more.  These huge run companies come into town and charge a lot of $$, but don't have any food or other fun stuff at the finish line.  I guess I just like smaller runs with free bananas (that I don't take), water bottles, samples, etc.  Plus, I like the smaller ones that the proceeds go to a charity.  I don't like to pad a companies pocket with a huge amount of an entry fee.  I see on their website that they do give some money to a charity, but it doesn't specify a percentage, it only says that they do give some money.  IDK, I just like charity runs.

AND they ask for volunteers!  How can a company that is making a HUGE profit ask for volunteers?!  I think that is ridiculous, I mean you should really pay the people.  I can see a non profit race ask for volunteers, but a for profit race?  No.  Greedy.  I'm all about making $$, but these huge companies that come in get on my nerves. (I didn't realize all this when I signed up).


I also didn't like the course.  It was ALL in a parking lot that you just go back and forth in. Not fun, let me see some cool sights!  But to be fair, I think that renting NRG stadium would be really expensive and it is hard planning for 16,000 people I guess.  It was only $20 (for me, with my groupon) so I can't really say that it was too bad.

I still had fun with my friends.  I walked the entire way with my friend Teri and hung out with her and Armando before and after the event (Armando ran the entire way and waited for us at the finish line).  We took lots of pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment