Friday, July 29, 2011

Runnin' on Veggies


I decided August 1st will be the month (maybe longer if I can stand it) that I go VEGETARIAN for a month.  Thought about going vegan, but I don’t think I can handle no cheese or eggs (especially if I am training for my half). 


Now, I must say that August will prove a difficult month since it has 31 days instead of 30, but I digress. :/  I can do ANYTHING, I am WOMAN, hear me ROAR. Lol.  I do believe it will be difficult, and will take mega effort…but I am willing to give it a try.


I will be eating a lot of hummus.  I think I will buy a food processor and start making my own.  Surely I can find a good recipe online, and not have to worry about store bought hummus (but it still tastes great!).

I think I am going to try and find some new recipes so it won’t just be salad all the time.  Send me some recipes please!!!







Who else is with me? Raise your hands!!
Here is a recipe that I am going to try soon.  Enjoy!
Lentil and Squash Casserole
Serves 4

1 cup lentils
1/4 cup brown rice
1 small delicata squash, peeled, seeded and chopped small
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded

 
Cook lentils and brown rice in simmering water until soft, then drain any excess water. While lentils are cooking, place squash in a covered dish with a little water and steam until soft, about 3-4 minutes; drain. Combine lentils, rice, squash and all remaining ingredients and stir gently together. Can be either served immediately or baked. To bake, place in a large casserole and if desired top with a little more shredded cheese. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment