Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Ending a long term relationship

We’ve been together for as long as I can remember. Neither of us has gone out of the way to celebrate anniversaries but it’s been what; close to 15 years now? My goodness. I guess as far as relationships go - we haven’t set any world records for longevity, but it’s been what often feels to me like a lifetime.

What can I say? You’ve been with me through good and bad times alike. In the beginning, I remember that we didn’t jump into things right away, but rather we slowly eased into our relationship, little by little. We’ve become so close -- inseparable, some might say, that for a time I couldn’t even imagine life without you. Even though it’s not what I necessarily wanted for myself, I assumed we would be together, always.

Maybe it was my insecurity that kept me with you for so long, or perhaps I simply became too complacent. Often times I didn’t even think about the troubles we were having, and lived somewhat comfortably -- though looking back now, I realize I was in denial. Sure, there were plenty of days when I suspected I could do so much better, but I never had the guts to separate myself from you.
I think it was your mean streak that finally made me start seeing things in a whole new light. You were never the complimentary type, but at some point you really began to influence my moods and self-worth. You made me feel bad when I tried on new clothes -- especially if I had gained some weight and had to go up a size from the previous year. Oh, and when I tried on bikinis? There you were…mocking me! Making me feel ashamed and ugly…sometimes I even cried! During those times how I wished I could’ve just walked away right then and there, but I knew that it would take some planning and time before I could completely remove you from my life. How is it that I stomached everything you put me through for so long??

I think you suspect that something’s up -- I can see the difference in you. I can tell you want to hang on -- and you know what? Be my guest. It’s a desperate tactic, really -- and it won’t work forever. Every day brings me just a little closer to being free of you forever.
Muffin Top, your days are numbered. Let’s keep this last bit of time we’ll have together as civil as possible, shall we?
Sincerely,

Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment