Thursday, January 1, 2015

Palo Duro Canyon and the American Quarter Horse Museum

After we were done sightseeing at Cadillac Ranch and Route 66, we headed to Palo Duro Canyon to hike the trails.  Palo Duro Canyon is the 2nd largest canyon in the USA and is nicknamed The Grand Canyon of Texas.  I have never seen the Grand Canyon at all, so driving into this canyon was AMAZING!!!!  I had no idea we had a canyon that big in Texas. 



It was so weird that you were driving and the land was flat, flat, and more flat, and then all the sudden here comes a HUGE canyon in the middle of nowhere.   The cost to get into the park is $5 per person and there is a bathroom right at the entrance gate.  The bathroom had been converted from an old well and still had the water marking gauge inside. 



 We got out and took pictures at a viewing area and I can’t begin to show you how beautiful this place is.  I only brought my phone so my pictures are not the best, but honestly, BEATIFUL!!!  I really wanted to hike the 6 mile round trip Lighthouse trail, but my friends didn’t want to.  I started out on the trail solo, and got about 1.5 miles in, but then turn around so I wouldn’t have to keep my friends waiting.  I felt bad leaving them and I didn’t have cell service to tell them to come back for me.  

The Light House Trail is mostly flat, and I would think kids could go on it (depending on the age), but no strollers because on part you literally have to climb up.  Dogs should be OK.


We went to the Trading Post to look for souvenirs and then the Visitors area for more souvenirs and to view the small museum they had on site.  The museum was pretty cool and had lots of information about how the area was settled and also information about the rock formations.


After Palo Duro Canyon, we went to the American Quarter Horse Museum in Amarillo.  Personally, I am not a fan of horses (they freak me out), so I just walked around for a bit and then went to play on my phone and shop the gift shop.  The museum was interesting and told you about the biology of horses, background on how they were breed, stuff about taking care of horses, etc.  They also had lots of trophies and memorabilia about horse competitions and former chairmen of the AQHM. 


If you like horses or are interested in them, it might be worth going.  I am just not a fan of them and it was boring to me.  However, the building is beautiful!  I would recommend the guided tour because there were times that I saw something interesting, but couldn’t find a sign as to what it was/what it meant.  Like in the Grand Hallway there were names on the walls, but no sign (that I could see) of who they were.  I thought it might be past members or officers of the AQHA, but then there was a random horse name thrown in there, so that couldn’t be it!


There was also this cool stone ancestry floor with all of these names of horses that followed the lineage of this horse, but it didn’t tell you who the horse was.  Then there was a random horse name at the top with an asterisk, but not explanation as to why!   I was so confused!  If someone wants to explain that to me (which it probably was explained on the guided tour), I am all ears.

The gift shop is really cool there too! Check it out. I wanted to buy LOTS of stuff.


Next stop…bucket list item #3!!!!!   The Big Texan 72 oz. Steak Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment