Friday, August 1, 2014

Aramco Half Marathon Kickoff Party

Back in June, I got selected to be in the 2015 Aramco Half Marathon.  Just like with the full marathon, it was a lottery system. I really didn't want to be accepted, but I thought it would be good for me to apply anyway.  Let that be a lesson learned...do not apply for the 2016 lottery because you will probably get picked! LOL.

Anyway, last night was the kick-off party for the event that had been postponed due to weather a few times.  Luckily, it was a clear afternoon and rain free (it did rain later that night though).  I left right after work and went down Memorial Dr. to look for parking.  Let me tell you, Rush Hour Traffic + Kick-off party = nightmare for parking and traffic!  They had sections of the road blocked off and you couldn't park where they were having the party (a section of Memorial Park).

Well, lucky for me there was a small parking area a little ways down from the party that I thought I could just park easily.  No, it was hard getting in there since it was so packed.  I parked on the side of the lane and decided just to get my shirt and go, since it was so busy and I know a lot of other people were looking for parking as well.

I got to the site and found the shirt section easily.  I wanted to look around the different booths, but I knew the parking was bad and I didn't want to get towed or anything.

I got back to my car and found out that I as blocked in by 3 cars.  Three whole separate people decided to just leave their cars double parked.  They took their sweet time getting back too.  We were stuck for about 20 minutes waiting for the people to get back. So honestly, I could have just looked around more at the party and it wouldn't have mattered.  They had lots of tents set up for different charities (Run for a Reason) and various vendors giving out free food. I was this close to snagging a bagel or fruit, but I *thought* I needed to get back to my car asap.

I do like the shirt though.  The material has a vintage look to it,I'm not sure if you can tell by the picture. I can't wait to wear it, even if I CAN wait to train for the race. LOL. I didn't go to the party when I was training for my marathon, but I decided that since I was already in that area, I might as well go.

2 comments:

  1. I'm running Houston this year again! But, I decided to go back for the full. I hope you change you mind about training. Houston is one of my favorite races. Happy training. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yay! Good luck on training!! Maybe we can get together and do a long run between now and then. :)

    ReplyDelete