Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Merlot to Masterpieces

After a long day of moving on Saturday I was invited by my friend Sarah to a Merlot to Masterpieces class that she got off Groupon awhile ago.  I was really tired and had a lot to do to unpack so I was hesitant to go, but then I figured it would be fun so I went!  I had taken one other class before, but this one was really different.

If you haven’t heard of these types of classes it is where you start with a blank canvas and everyone in the class paints the same picture directed by the instructor.    You bring your own wine and snacks and just paint!  It is super fun and you get to take your picture home at the end of the class to hang up in your house.  I used to have my first masterpiece hung up in my old apartment, but this one doesn’t really have a place to put it.  The one I painted on Saturday night sort of fits the décor in my room so I will probably hang it up in there.

Sarah and I stopped at Kroger to buy some snacks and wine for the night.  She brought some wine with her and I bought some sparkling cider.  I had a half marathon the next morning so I didn’t want to have a hangover for 13.1 miles.  We bought cheese, crackers, fruit, and chocolate. 
The instructors name was Matt (he was cute!) and he guided us the entire way.  My last class (The Drunk Artist in Spring) the instructor sort of let us loose to do whatever we wanted to do, but Matt helped us step by step.  We started with the sky (with the canvas upside down), then worked section by section building up the painting in layers.  My favorite part was when we got to the big trees.  Matt told us to get some really watery black paint and to turn the painting upside down.  He told us to let the paint drip down and create a line on its own.  We were all looking at each other like this guy is nuts, but we followed his lead.  Then we made a few more lines twisting the canvas making the different branches, it was the coolest technique.  I am an artist! :)

This is everyone painting the trees and tilting the canvas.

This is my painting below the original painting.  I love that all of us were to paint the same picture with the same instructor, but they all turned out so differently! 
This is my picture (left) and Sarah’s picture (right).  The same but so different!


Thank you Sarah for inviting me to the class!  I had so much fun, hopefully we can get together and do a ceramics class soon! 

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I have been several times to Merlot 2 Masterpiece and it has never disappointed! And yes, Matt is very cute!

    ReplyDelete